Tuesday, October 04, 2005


Collision Type #2:
The Door Prize


A driver opens his door right in front of you. You run right into it if you can't stop in time. If you're lucky, the motorist will exit the car before you hit the door, so you'll at least have the pleasure of smashing them too when you crash, and their soft flesh will cushion your impact.

How to avoid this collision:
Ride to the left. Ride far enough to the left that you won't run into any door that's opened unexpectedly. You may be wary about riding so far into the lane that cars can't pass you easily, but you're MUCH more likely to get doored by a parked car if you ride too close to it than you are to get hit from behind by a car which can clearly see you.

4 comments:

twolf1920 said...

I'd rather be bitched out by some impatient dipstick in a truck, them creamed by a knobjob opening a door.

I'll accept a stinging ego over a broken limb anyday.

That One Chick You Know said...

I concur...

Anonymous said...

Portland Oregon (for the most part) is pretty bike friendly. Most of the major streets have bike lanes that are wide enough to keep cyclist from getting the "door prize". Even when I don't park adjacent to a bike lane I still look out that side view mirror to make sure I don't take out some poor schmo who is unaware that I am exiting my car.

robokatie

twolf1920 said...

I wish all of the motorists would have your attitude. And its not just the motorists either, but bicyclists who don't obey the laws of the road. It comes down to this: As gasprices go up, some of the people WILL seek alternative methods of transportation.

The Bus comapnies have already seen a 40% increase in riders. Bicycle sales were strong this year, and I know that we will be seeing more bicycles out on the road.

We need to all learn to share the road!