Sunday, June 11, 2006

The duality of a Bicyclist

So I am doing my normal 20 mile run, and I have a set route I take. I KNOW where all the "danger Zones" are-IE Blind corners on the paths, Parkways where the motorists act like pricks, etc. Heres some situations where my "Duality" comes into play. Meaning my "Hardcore Bicylist" side, and my regular "Human" side.

My "hardcore Side" has very little patience. My "Human Side" has much more, but lately being that my time and $ are sacred, my "hardcore side" has been "coming out" much more than usual. Here are some examples:

I am approaching a blind corner in a narrow bike path corridor, so I slow down, because usually this is where accidents can happen fast. Sure enough, heres grandpa and grandma rounding the corner with big ol gramps barreling toward me. Heres what my human side would say:

"Whoops-Heads up there big guy! Be careful going around these corners. They are dangerous!"

Heres what Hardcore Biker DID say: :"Heads up! I said HEADS UP!!!!! Stay on your side Dammit! Thats how people get hurt!!!"

I suppose I could have been nicer right? Problem is, I know the route so well, and have at LEAST 2-5 Near misses each week, and its always some jokers on the wrong side that almost kills me. BUT

I forgot how many mistakes I made when I first started biking. I need to remember that not everyone is into it as much as I am!

No comments: